• LG Inventories

  • Latest tweets

    Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

  • Copyright Notice

    © Leslie Gallagher and LG Inventories (Inventories, Inspections & Testing), 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Leslie Gallagher and LG Inventories (Inventories, Inspections & Testing) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Electrical Safety at Christmas

We would like to offer you some advice to help you make your indoor and outdoor Christmas light displays as safe as possible.

Buying

  • • Look for safety marks – for example BS Kitemark.
  • • Buy from a reputable store.
  • • Look for lights that operate at a low voltage via a transformer. Low voltage sets pose less risk of electric shock. However, even low voltage equipment is capable of starting a fire.
  • • Avoid buying second-hand. If you do make sure they are PAT tested first. Even low voltage lights need to have a transformer that is plugged into the mains supply and as such it constitutes an item of Portable Electrical Equipment, which is subject to PAT testing. If your lights don’t display an indication of having been tested, then it is vital that you get them checked out.

Checking

  • • Unplug the lights before removing bulbs. Never insert or remove bulbs when switched on.
  • • Before using, inspect cables and bulbs for damage.
  • • Do not use damaged lights.

Using

  • • Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • • Use an RCD – Residual Current Device, for added protection against shock.
  • • Don’t run the cable where it can be damaged.
  • • Some lights can generate a considerable amount of heat. Keep lights clear of decorations and other flammable materials.
  • • Ensure they don’t present a trip hazard for anyone.
  • • Only use extension cables that have been tested.
  • • Switch them off when you go to bed and when you go out of the house.
  • • Do not allow children to play with the lights.
  • • Do not use makeshift wiring for lights.
  • • Check for overloaded plugs – you should fit one plug per socket unless you use a bar adapter on a lead.  But don’t plug appliances into the adapter that collectively use more than 13 amps of current and avoid daisy chaining extension cables.
  • • Do not use lights outdoors unless specifically made for such use.
  • • Don’t extend cables on outdoor lights.
  • • Never use extension leads or plugs and sockets outdoors unless specifically designed for outdoor use.
  • • On outdoor lights always check that the transformer is suitable for an outdoor location.

Storing

  • • Take care when dismantling and packing the lights not to damage them.
  • • Keep them safely stored away out of reach of children.
  • • Avoid damp or excessively hot conditions.
Get your free guide to electrical safety at Christmas here courtesy of the Electrical Safety Council.

News: HSE Plans to Charge

News: HSE Plans to Charge (Posted on September 15, 2011 by Lucy Evans) HSE have launched a three month consultation on its plans to recover costs from intervention by HSE. HSE have already agreed with the Government this year that they can impose fees on companies who have broken Health and Safety laws. The proposal is that HSE will charge £133.00 per hour for its time. Also, any further specialist support will be charged for. The Government have agreed with HSE that those breaking the law should pay for the cost to correct their mistakes, the new system should be fully up and running by April 2012. It is also a warning to help ensure that all businesses comply with Health and Safety laws. The proposals ensure that those compliant businesses do not have to pick up the cost for those that fail to follow the rules correctly or at all. http://ow.ly/6TJlx

Electrical appliance safety – Cube Aquar

Electrical appliance safety – Cube Aquarium Light http://ow.ly/6TIH1

Faulty chest freezer likely cause of Nea

Faulty chest freezer likely cause of Neasden fire tragedy – News-content | Fire Safety Order plus fire safety news, events, jobs | info4fire.com http://ow.ly/6MHZU

Neasden house fire that killed mum and f

Neasden house fire that killed mum and five children ’caused by faulty appliance | Metro.co.uk http://ow.ly/6MHKD

Electric Blanket Safety

Electric Blankets, is yours safe to use?

Testing electric blankets annually is important as all electrical appliances have the potential to deteriorate as time goes on.

They can be perfectly safe to use provided they are in good condition and have the necessary overheating safeguards incorporated into the design. If the condition of the blanket is allowed to deteriorate, there is a chance of electric shock, electrical burns which can be painful and cause permanent damage, or even fires which can cost lives.

Make sure you stay safe by ensuring that your blanket is secured to the bed using the supplied safety ties which prevent the blanket from moving and damaging the elements. When the blanket is not in use, store it flat or, if it must be folded, ensure that it is not folded too tightly.

As with any other piece of electrical equipment, it is very important that electric blankets are kept in safe working order, last year 39% of blankets tested failed. Electric blankets are usually installed beneath bedding which makes them easy to forget for routine safety checks.

Why do electric blankets fail their test?

  • They are over 10 years old and have no safety features built into the controller
  • There has been a leakage of voltage to the surface of the blanket
  • The elements have moved around inside the blanket with the potential to rub together and cause a short-circuit
  • Elements are not secured within the blanket and are exposed to the surface
  • Power lead fasteners are broken and unable to be secured
  • The surface of the blanket is worn, exposing the elements

The fact that nearly 40% of electric blankets tested last year failed, shows how important it is to have them checked regularly. As we move into the colder months, an electric blanket can be very comforting and the last thing you want is to get a shock or a burn from one or worse still – start a fire. This can be avoided by taking advantage of the free* electric blanket safety checks on offer from LG Inventories.

*For further information on how to obtain your free electric blanket safety check, please leave your name and email address in the subscribe box or click here and leave your details and we’ll be in touch. (T&C’s apply)

Sunderland couple saved by smoke alarm h

Sunderland couple saved by smoke alarm http://ow.ly/6mk72

%d bloggers like this: